The iPad mini: Fact or Fiction ?
OK, so the mainstream media have gone gaga over the weekend about the possibility of Apple releasing an iPad mini. The rumours this time have apparently come from media reports in South Korea, China and Taiwan about 7.86" screens being ordered by Apple from Samsung.
Here are some reasons why some of the media think that this might be a go:
- Apple introducing a smaller tablet at a smaller price point would be a nightmare for their competition
- Amazon's Kindle Fire that sells for US$199 has sold millions
- a 7" iPad would be easier to carry around
- Apple is still selling the iPad 2 at an entry level price of just $429 in Australia
- Apple has never focused on it's competitors but rather focused on the user experience
- Developers would have to change the Apps for a new screen dimension
- Steve Jobs HATED the idea of a smaller iPad saying:
"The reason we wouldn't make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit a price point, it's because we don't think you can make a great tablet with a 7-inch screen," Jobs said. "The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."
I just can't believe that Apple's new CEO Tim Cook, would do a 180 degree spin on the iPad mini in such a short time, but as always - time will tell.
Have your vote below on what you think!