Everything you need to know from WWDC 2018
WWDC 2018 has just finished. As usual Apple announced a heap of new stuff headed our way. The event kicked off with a video entitled The Developer Migration:
Here's all the things you need to know from today's keynote:
- Speed - iOS12 is focused on increased performance, especially for older devices.
- AR - Now built in across the operating system and all apps. New App called Measure uses AR to let you measure items in the real world.
- Photos - Has a lot better search. New tab called "For You" which includes a new feature called Share suggestions. Photos will identify people in photos you take and offer to share with them.
- Siri - Shortcuts, a new app lets you add Siri shortcuts to apps that you love.
- App Updates - News now has new Browse tab. Stocks now includes News stories and will now be available on iPad. Voice Memos redesigned and also coming to iPad. iBooks is being renamed to Apple Books, has all new design including brand new store.
- Distraction - Do not Disturb, will now hold off notifications until the morning and now includes automatic ending. Notifications - introduces grouped notifications by app, topic or even location. Activity report will now give you a weekly summary of how much time your spending on your phone and on which apps. Allowances let's parents set time kids can spend on their devices and on what apps.
- Messages - Animoji now includes tongue detection - wow! Plus theres a bunch of new characters. Memoji let's you create your own personalised Memoji! There are also a bunch of new effects in the Message camera now such as shapes, text and some really cool filters!
- Facetime - Group Facetime will let you Facetime with up to 32 people! It will also include all of Messages new effects including Animoji.
- Competitions - Challenge friends with competitions over 7 days.
- Workouts - New workout types including Yoga and Hiking. Automatic workout detection will now automatically start activities for you and can also automatically stop.
- Walkie Talkie - Let's you have short conversations with friends.
- Siri - Now you can just raise your wrist to activate Siri.
- Podcasts - The Podcast App will finally be available on your watch!
- Dolby Atmos - Coming to Apple TV
- Screensavers - Will now bring titles of where they are. You will be able to swipe between them. New world screen saver, filmed from the ISS.
macOS - Mojave
- Dark Mode - Apple are finally introducing Dark Mode to the Mac!
- Dynamic Desktop - Changes your wallpaper as the day changes.
- Desktop Stacks - Your mac can automatically stack all the clutter on your desktop.
- Finder - New Gallery view. Quick Look now includes mark up and basic photo and video edtiting.
- Screenshots - Now a lot more powerful. You can now capture video of your screen.
- Continuity - Continuity Camera automatically uses your iPhones camera to bring in photos, videos and scan documents.
- Apps - Apple News is finally coming to the Mac as well as the Stocks app, Voice Memos and Home.
- Safari - Will now block share buttons and comments so third party sites such as Facebook can't track your movement across the web unless you choose to.
- App Store - Total redsign from the ground up.
Well that's everything, we'll post a video of the keynote once Apple releases it.